Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jing is an amazing teaching tool

I love Jing -- I think it is one of the most useful online teaching tools ever, both the still image screen shot option and the video of screenoption.


Screen shot
Once I take a photo of the part of the screen that I want to show, then I can also use the drawing tools so that I put annotations right on the image to explain key steps (such as in the picture shown below, where I was demonstrating to students how to make a link in Moodle so that it opened in a separate window).




Video option:
When I want to show the sequence of how something works, and when it is useful for people to watch what I do, rather than merely reading about it, use the "record video" option and then show step by step what to do. In the example below, I did this to show students in my class how they can tell if there Google Doc actually saved or not:




This is particularly useful when I think the same question is likely to be asked by a number of people. But also, it is often quicker (and more effective) for me to make a demo video like this than it is to write out detailed directions that actually make sense. Try it for yourself and see! Way cool!

1 comment:

Alina G said...

I'm looking forward to creating a Jing video. I'm totally in love with Jing to capture screen shots.